Thursday, September 11, 2014

Tiiiiiiiiiime is on my side. Yes it is.

And suddenly it was Thursday, 9/11/2014; at least it will be for the next two minutes. Where did this week go?

I did spend a considerable chunk of this week sniffling my nose, sneezing, and lethargically day-dreaming about my bed. Yes, I have acquired the obligatory, freshman, new-environment-with-new-people-walking-around-you-constantly/touched-the-wrong-subway-pole cold. My articulation will not be on point tonight. As for the lack of posts, being faintly-sick will distract you/me from updating blogs, I suppose. 

So will homework, FINALLY!  

But where did I invest all my energy this week? Where “did time go”? Time doesn’t necessarily fly here at college. Contrarily, what I’ve noticed is that there’s so much time. Suddenly I’m not constrained by the same obligations that I was in high school. I’m not in school for seven hours a day, and I don’t have to drive home afterwards. I went from having a 30 minute, highway-bound commute to having class in the same building I sleep in. I suddenly have a three-day weekend, since I don’t have classes on Friday.

This being said, I’m not bored! I don’t think I’ve gotten bored here once. There’s kind of a constant conveyer-belt of activities going on, like class, for example. Classes started this week, thank goodness. Order has reinvited1 itself into my life. Registering for classes was a week-long endeavor; now I get to attend them. I made some good choices:

-An Actor’s Workshop: This will give me experience/credit for when I try to get into theater courses later. Monologue preparation. There are auditions for fall semester shows…tempting, but I’ll probably pass.

-Japanese 1: Hajimemashite! We’re reviewing hiragana. In high school French we didn’t heavily focus on writing; this is totally different than Japanese. In my first week of Japanese we haven’t done much speaking. It’s all repetition: A, I, U, E, O, KA, KI, KU, KE, KO…

-Global Kinships (Anthropology): We’re discussing a Dan Savage Novel: The Kid, what happened when my boyfriend and I decided to get pregnant. We’re expected to read it in a week! A book like this would have taken a month at my high school. I’m surprised how quickly I’m eating it up…

-Playwright’s Gym: Chekov. Journal keeping. “Brain maps.” The talking desk. 15 aspiring writers guided by a dramatic, well-produced and published playwright. This will clearly be another post.       

I was describing my workload to my friends at other schools. Their responses:
            “Lucky.”

I think it’ll get really busy really soon. I have to meet with each of my professor’s outside of class for thirty minutes bi-weekly. It’s a requirement. That’ll take some time, too. Softball practice will start in October. Hopefully I’ll get hired someplace. I’ll enjoy my reasonable workload while it lasts.

And when I’m not doing that, I’ll run away to the city. I got away from Hipster College to hang out with fellow New York transplants, skyscrapers, and Giant Piles of Playdoh.

I’m gonna leave you hanging, though, because my cold is dragging me down into ambivalence about whether or not I care enough to end this sentence, which is really just me saying that I don’t think my writing is on par tonight, but I don’t feel bad because I’ve been doing a lot of writing lately; letter writing, post-card writing, playwriting, email writing, journal writing (lots of that), but I feel bad that I’ve spent so much time this week being busy with school BUT WAIT I have to do my homework because school comes first, as it always has, and if I let that slip then they, the big bad administration (that really isn’t big and bad) will certainly kick me out or, damnit, what’s the word, take away my scholarship or something so then I WON’T be able to write about Hipster College because I won’t BE at Hipster College to write about; I mean, it’ll be here, but I hypothetically wouldn’t be because I would have been kicked out because I put a blog before my homework and is it hot in here or is just me?

Stay tuned: New York is super cool.

From hanging out on North Lawn. 
I suppose I've been doing a lot of that, too, but that's not all bad. 


END NOTES 
11.  I’m not totally sure this is a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment