Friday, September 26, 2014

The Aspiring Hyperpolyglot attends an ASL Class

Yesterday my roommate and I were discussing the “eight different types of intelligences.” Going to an independent high school, I heard various educational/intellectual theories that surrounded this idea. Here’s the gist: there are eight different types, ranging from logical to natural, and everyone is a mixture. I like to think that I qualify for the “linguistic and verbal intelligence,” which means “I’m good with words.”  Just because I like writing? Sure, but also because I like foreign languages. My sister jokes that I pick them up overnight. Some people geek out about math; I geek out about syntax. I’m not a hyperpolyglot1, but I get kind of nerdy about cultures and foreign words. Au lycée j’étudiais français. Quiero aprender español.2  今は日本語をべんきょうします.3 It’s always been academically and intellectually rewarding. My next pursuit: American Sign Language. I want to learn ASL. Last night I put my money where my mouth(/hands) is: I went to an ASL club meeting.

It was a last minute decision to attend with my friend. Hipster College doesn’t offer ASL as a credit-earning course, so students formed a club that meets on Thursday evenings. My playwriting class ran twenty minutes over, so my friend and I showed up to the meeting about five minutes late. After garrulously chatting in the echoing hall I was startled to walk into practically silent but filled classroom. An instructor was signing as we failed to slip in unnoticed. Her hands moved swiftly and easily from one word, or letter, or number, or gesture to the next. I might as well have been in a Hungarian language class. I had no clue what she was saying.

I know various ASL phrases thanks to Vacation Bible School. “Bible” (and, therefore, “book”). “Jesus.” “Idea.” “I love you.” “Girl.” “Mother.” “Father.” “Fuck you” (that one wasn’t from VBS). I didn’t know the alphabet, which is hindering because the alternate to not knowing a sign is to spell out what you want to say. It was startling but refreshing, since it’s been awhile since I’ve been in a language course where I haven’t been able to dominate. I sat and watched kids around the room sign in response, those who had been coming to meetings for years, or even those who made it to the meeting last week.

Suddenly the instructor, a blond, zealously communicative woman turned to me and signed with a deeply quizzical look on her face. Before this she taught us the sign for “New York”4, but it wasn’t in the thing she just signed. I turned to my friend, then to one of the four student facilitators and shamefully asked for a translation. I didn’t feel bad that I didn’t know how to say it; I felt bad that I didn’t know how to sign “what did she say” so that the facilitator would know what I was saying as I asked someone else for help.

The question: “Where are you from?” From that I learned how to sign “I’m from Ohio.” I also now know the letters “O” “H” “I” and “O.” The facilitator was immediately excited by this; apparently there are three deaf retirement homes in America: one in Boston (or was it Baltimore?), one in Arizona, and one in Ohio. Columbus, actually. Westerville, Ohio, where I lived for about a month prior to moving to college. Ohio for the win.

That was just the warm-up question. The next question was far more articulate: Why do you want to learn ASL?

How do you sign “Because languages are cool?” Was that a legitimate reason? Was curiosity a reasonable enough excuse? Luckily for me, she started receiving answers on the other side of the semi-circle. Lots of students had deaf friends. I picked up on the sign for “to learn.” Finally it was my turn. My attempted sign: I [points to self] love [the sign everyone knows, ASL fluent or not] to learn [left palm flat like a plate, and the right hand traveling from the left hand to the forehead like…a jellyfish…for lack of a better explanation]. That felt like a  nerdy and pretentious answer, but I went with it.

The instructor laughed this joyful, cackling laugh. So did the student facilitators and other more knowledgeable students (not quite as idiosyncratically as the instructor).

I actually signed  “I I love you to learn.” Brilliant. It followed the best language-learning method I’d ever known; make mistakes and learn from them. I relaxed much more after that.

The rest of the hour was spent going over numbers and emotions. Apparently, the middle finger is essential when discussing feelings. Most kids were “feeling tired,” so much so that the instructor started refusing that answer. Facial expressions are also essential when communicating via ASL for context reasons. Smiling when signing “no” is unacceptable and confusing.

There were a few other surprises: clapping/applause is signed by doing jazz hands and smiling. “Yes” is shaking your fist as if it’s a head. The nuances and details are important; it can mean the difference between “fuck off” and “thank you.”

I walked out of the room thanking the instructor and worrying that I’d forget everything I had learned. ASL probably aligns better with “body movement/kinetic intelligence,” or maybe “interpersonal intelligence.” I think I intellectually identify with the latter well enough; the former’s one that I’m less certain about. But my delight, I was able to whip out the numbers, places, and a few phrases with my friend who’d invited me to the meeting as we sat on the north lawn enjoying the temperate, beautiful September day. It’s officially autumn, now that leaves fall and black and brown squirrels scavenge for nuts5. The forecast for this weekend is lovely, too, great for going into the city…for the second time this week.

A black squirrel searching for nuts

In reality, this is what squirrels do to "Buckeyes."
[the human proceeded to wash its hands]

Rodent Spy


I promise. I’ll write about New York City soon.    
       
ENDNOTES
1.      From the book Bable No More by Michael Erard, a “hyperpolyglot” is someone who speaks (or can use in reading, writing, or translating) at least six languages (p. 12).
2.      I took one year of Spanish II (for whatever that’s worth) in high school. I should’ve paid more attention; Spanish is spoken all over the place here, not just in New York, but also on campus.
3.      I translated this sentence myself, where I omitted the subject “I” because I assumed it was clear that we’re talking about me…this is my blog, after all! (Haha)
4.      Left hand: make a flat surface. Right hand: hang ten sign. Rub the right hand back and forth over the left hand. There! You’re signing New York…I think.
5.      You have not seen a cute squirrel until you’ve seen one with its mouth full of acorns. It was a cute, uncaptured experience at the Botanical Gardens.

RELEVANT WEBSITES



-One of the three deaf retirement homes in the United States: http://www.columbuscolony.org/history.html

No comments:

Post a Comment