Monday, September 1, 2014

A Nook in the Recesses of SLC

"Architecture is inhabited art." --Somebody important (for now I'm going to cite my high school art teacher, Rachel Althof, who said this at some point in a Geometry, Art, and Architecture course I took.)

SLC, I have discovered, is full of hidden alcoves, crannies, and confusingly placed office rooms. I spent today embarking on an inadvertent scavenger hunt as I searched for these confusingly placed offices so that I could write my name on sign up sheets for meetings ("interviews") with potential professors. At SLC, the student interviews the professor. I call it hipster college for a reason. While this cross-campus office search makes for somewhat stressful and undoubtedly hot labor days, these nooks and niches add a distinct charm and personality to the college's lay out. It's kind of quirky, for example, that the student union has floors 00, 0, 1, 2, and two 3 floors. The fact that many of the buildings are Tudor style is also quaint.

I like to think that I get my own "office," not that it's really an office, but it's where I do my work, store my supplies, and, well, sleep. That's right: this is a blog post about my dorm room. It's like my own nook, where I get to escape from all of my bright haired, excited, and confused peers. In these first few days it has been my favorite room to walk into, but I hope that will change with new alcove discoveries that I make.

When my family moved this summer I set aside decorations that I knew I would want to display in my dorm, so moving into my new "home" presented a certain joy as I rediscovered all the items that once made my room my room. A good writer would be able to adequately describe each and every detail of the room with meticulous word choice while entertaining the reader. I however grew up in the 21st century where pictures are worth all of the words that it would take to describe a photo (1,000, as the case is, apparently), and if I tried to write about every single little thing in prose, you would never read my blog again. So here you go, world: a nook in the recesses of SLC.

Before, from the door's perspective.

Box Mountain and the Yellow Submarine [that's a cello]
Essentially, my stuff pre-unpacking.
You know you're a Midwesterner when you take Mt. Dew to college; it's better than a keg. 

My corner. More posters to come. The pillows are comfier than they look.
Also, since I'm short, I mount my bed via desk chair. The desk next to the bed serves as a great make-shift night stand.

My messy, messy desk. I love it.  

Books I brought to Hipster College. 
Kokeshii dolls.
The Duke of Wellington and the Cotton Ball Angel.
Some luck cats.
An SLC course brochure. 

My shelf, complete with a photo of my mother and me, my grandfather and me, lotion, a Salvador Dali clock, a hairbrush, a lucky cat, Totoro, and Sarah Lawrence herself. And a mirror. I do have other practical, non-pictured items on the shelf, too, like mugs and deodorant.   

The view I emerge to of a morning. 

Tudor buildings, that have names...that I will remember eventually.  


 There are other awesome parts of the room that aren't pictured because they're my roommate's contribution. Those off-the-blog-records items are actually make the room the "bomb dot com," as I heard today. My favorite of her contributions include a rug and a colorful floor lamp. The light provided in the "completed" dorm room pictures radiates from that lamp. The mutually shared item I brought, other than paper towels, was a mini fridge. It's cute and covered in magnets.

While I like my room and all, I realize that I have yet to provide "tales" from hipster college. So, stay tuned for upcoming posts, when I find time, where I shall discuss:

-My computer battery kicking the bucket.
-Sex talks. Five of them.
-Juniors inviting me to sit with them at dinner.
-My academic adviser.

Until then, sleep well; I have an interview with my potential intro to genetics professor tomorrow at 9:30[AM].

No comments:

Post a Comment