Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Firsthand Account of The People's Climate March

The following would probably be worth of what my high school history teachers used to call a “primary source.” Essentially, this is a first-hand account of a marcher in the People’s March for Climate Change. I'm excited about it because: 

1)      I was one of 400,000 marchers/screamers.
2)      This was my first political march in college…as well as ever, unless visiting an occupied Zucotti Park counts. Does Pride Parade in Columbus count? Both had overlapping vibes with my experience today. Regardless, today’s political march was my first as a college student, and I haven’t even been one for a month.

Last night I did a quick google search of “The People’s March” to find that similar marches were happening in cities all over the world, including Sydney, Melbourne, Jakarta, Istanbul, Paris, London, etc. I suppose the internationalism made sense, since these marches are all leading up to a United Nations climate summit. And so I kept asking myself “Why am I getting involved? I’m not particularly passionate about the environment.” My own answers:
1)      This is part of the college experience! Or the New York experience! Go to a rally and get arrested1, right? I didn’t have to go to Oberlin to be an activist!
2)      How much control do I have over climate change? How much control do 400,000 people have over climate change? How much control does Obama have over climate change? Where might I find these answers? By talking to the thousands of activists lined up for blocks and blocks and blocks!
3)      My dear friends from high school, NYU and AU were gonna be there. So was my long-lost (as far as I’m concerned) second cousin2. Ditto for my uncle and his friends. Maybe I would get to catch up with some of these people.

So those are some of the reasons why I dragged myself out of bed [not really all that] early and met the other SLC kids by the science building so that we could all ride the Metro North line down to Grand Central Terminal together. There were maybe 60 of us. Between the station and the march on 69th street/West Central Park Avenue  we lost more and more student, dwindling down to maybe 20. They had a solid crowd. I ditched them from the subway station on 72nd to hang out with NYU on 69th. I fast-walked down some avenue, counting down the streets as I passed them. After a brief stroll around the upper west side I found the mob.

SLC'S Banner with our fearless leader.


No. Mob’s too gentle of a word. The sea of protesting, sign holding, screaming, elated college students waiting for the march to commence at 11:30. I found NYU among the crowd, thanks to mobile phones, around 10:50.





That's right, Kenyon College! Don't Frack with Ohio!!
There were lots of Fracking puns. 


My friend NYU's sign. 

This is the first time I’d seen NYU since we had moved to the city, and seeing as we were pretty close in high school, you can imagine how happy I was to have 45 minutes to stand around and talk to her. While the march officially started at 11:30, 400K people in one place don’t move very fast, even if they’re all going the same direction. We didn’t really get moving until about 12:20. NYU had a friend from Middlebury who hung out with us, too.

Note the girl dressed up as a planet. 


At one point a boy, maybe 10 years old, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I wanted a baby-pumpkin. I write baby in the sense that it was little, like hand-grenade size, I imagine. I skeptically-jokingly asked him if the pumpkin was gonna blow up. He looked at me like I was crazy. When I brought up the idea of drawing a face he adamantly disapproved: “You can’t deface the pumpkin.” I didn’t. The pumpkin turned into my sign, since all I had otherwise was a black and red cardboard sign that someone made that read: “ONE PLANET ONE LOVE.”


Aside from talking we took part in all of the chants, cheers, and screaming. Normal-case indicates one person screaming while uppercase indicates hundreds of people screaming.  

FAVORITE CHANTS OF THE DAY:
            “What do we want?”
            “CLIMATE JUSTICE!”
            “When do we want it?”
            “NOW!” :||3

            “Show me what democracy looks like!”
            “THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!” :||

            HEY. OBAMA. WE DON’T WANT YOUR CLIMATE DRAMA. :||

            HEY-HEY. HO-HO. FOSSIL FULES HAVE GOT TO GO. :||

From time to time we would sing “This land is Your Land” and “We’re not gonna take it.” Whistles blew. Banners and signs waved. I held up my pumpkin. Helicopters flew back and forth over the crowd. Around 12:30 I decided to see if I could find my other dear friend AU, who came with her school and stuck to her new friend. So I abandoned NYU and Middlebury, promising I’d see her again, and I ran up to 63rd to find AU and her friend standing on the corner. Yes, sweet reunion. So there was more catching up and hanging out. We hopped in the march at about 12:45.


12:58 was a particularly anticipated moment. This was the moment of silence, intended to last until 13:00. Right on time the silence dropped on the march and thousands of pairs of arms raised in the air. The silence started in the front and moved back. We heard chants in the back suddenly halt. The wind blew. The shocking-noise antithesis was stunning. Suddenly from the back we heard screams. At first I thought it was some sort of siren, like people were running from something in pain and suffering. The noise quickly traveled through to the front, and I thought, “Oh god. Something’s going wrong.” The media’s training us to imagine the worst. But suddenly it occurred to me that it was just people screaming to scream. So I screamed, because I was one of 400,000 people. Then we carried on towards Columbus circle.

A bleak view of Columbus Circle.


Getting around Columbus circle was the bottle-neck, and probably the cause of the start-and-go traffic. But as we waited and waded, giant TV monitors showed just how overwhelmingly large a mass we were. I didn’t feel like I was part of something big from within the crowd, but looking at it from a bird’s eye-view hit home for me that this wasn’t some little parade: this was activism on a level I've never seen it before.




Around 2:00 we had made it to 44th street on 6th avenue, and AU, her amiga, and I were ready for some food. We tracked down NYU; she wasn’t far behind us. We decided to head west towards AU’s bus stop. Yes, the marching was fun and cool, and it was certainly weird to just abandon it, but we parted, taking our signs, megaphones, and pumpkin with us.

Before AU and her friend had to go back to D.C, the four of us got some food, wandered past Broadway and Times Square, adventured the subway system, wandered about Union Square, made a stop in the incredible Strand Bookstore, and dropped NYU off in her unbelievably stellar, suit-style, more-like-a-pad-than-a-dorm room dorm. NYU walked us to the subway station before we split.

Spotted in the aforementioned incredible Strand Bookstore.

I happily walked back with AU and friend back to their bus stop on the corner of 34th St. and 11th Ave. The march ended around 11th. About two blocks away from their destination, I saw a vaguely familiar face headed in our direction on the same side of the sidewalk. I quickly discovered this was my second-cousin, who I knew would be at the march. But tell me, what’s the probability than in the biggest city in America, at the site of one of the largest political marches, that I would walk past my second-cousin, whom I haven’t seen since I was 13, on the same sidewalk? My plans to go straight to Grand Central for my train ride home quickly dissipated . I had a lot of catching up to do. It was delightful; I may be making a trip up to Boston soon.

So then I did have to come home at some point, since I had a short play to finish4, so I took the C (or the A?) up to the shuttle train to Grand Central just in time to get the 18:54 train back to Bronxville. From the window of the train in Harlem I saw my favorite view of New York City: at sunset. I would take a city sunset over a beach sunset any day.   



Students I talked to ahead of the march claimed that they were, “going to be part of history.” This march, according to them, “is something my kids’ll study in school, and I’ll say, ‘I was there!’” Given the number of news reporters, I thought this would be a fairly well covered ordeal. Yes, lots of new channels had a story about the march, but nothing all that significant. Nothing that I would notice if I were browsing the news in Columbus. It did not evoke the same monumental importance that I anticipated. That’s not to say it didn’t have its impact. It might have had a stronger unity effect than anything else. 7 year olds and 70 year olds walked side by side. College students with college professors. The common man and Al Gore.

We’ll see how much coverage it gets. We’ll see how the politicians react. We’ll see if New York submerges and the ice caps melt. We’ll see if historians point to today as an important moment in climate change history. If so, cool. If not,  I can say that I’ve was in a massive political rally in New York. And my brain is fried from walking all day. I should really stop typing now; it’s okay if blog posts end abruptly sometimes.

I hope it doesn’t go that way for the planet.  

ENDNOTES
1.      One of my friends made this point to me as we were walking to the train station. In reality, the NYPD was heavily invested in helping the marchers. I thanked them every time we passed a pair.
2.      She’s my dad’s cousin’s daughter, who’s about nine months older than me. The last time I saw her was at her cousin’s [another one of my second-cousin’s] graduation party.
3.      Repetition ( :|| ) was vital! So was volume!

4.      See The New Friday for context.

1 comment:

  1. "You can't deface the pumpkin." Did he seriously say that??? That is GOLD

    ReplyDelete